Thursday, January 12, 2012

In My Dreams (Literally)

Since I was a little girl, Europe has seemed this far-off, magical paradise where people take naps every day, drink tons of wine, are fluent in 7 languages, and walk around the market buying fresh produce all the time.

Well, apparently it's true!
At least in Auxey-Duresses in eastern France. This little gem has a town-wide day of wine tastings... Anybody wanna tell me why we don't do this is America? What a dream come true.

During the wine tasting, Ryan shot an amazing photograph outside of a chateau. Yes, a real life chateau.

So with this photograph in mind, and recalling some recently gifted painting knives, I thought I'd give it a shot. I'd never used painting knives before, so I read up in a couple books and did a little YouTube-ing. I went for it, and this painting ended up being 100% done with knives.


It really was a challenge moving from a paintbrush to a knife. It feels completely foreign and the outcome is a totally different style from what I'm used to. And I only almost cut myself once!


Working with the texture was awesome. I wish the images could better display all of the variation you get from the different types and shapes of knives. Also, the knives don't like to pick up much paint if it's mixed with water, so using my acrylics without any variation of consistency was a big change.




Overall, I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out! I'm excited to keep using all my knives! (for painting. heh.)
So, where's that wine??


Kara Spicuzza Welborn

Chateau Francais
18x24 [23x29 with frame]
framed and ready to hang
Acrylics by Winsor & Newton
Contact user e-mail address for purchase
$249




No comments:

Post a Comment